Germs Begone: How to Deal With Household Germs Like a Pro
Cleanliness is one of the most important traits a person can have. After all, excellent personal hygiene and properly cleaned and disinfected homes are our strongest weapon against dangerous viruses, bacteria, parasites, and other germs.
In order to learn how to create a healthy living environment that is free of germs and toxins, take a look at this short guide on how to effectively kill household germs. The advice provided here is universal, so it’ll serve you well regardless of whether you clean on your own or you use professional house cleaning services in Terre Haute, Indiana.
Keep reading to learn more.
What has the most germs in your house?
There are certain surfaces in every home that have the increased chance of becoming contaminated with harmful pathogens. Since these usually include items that are touched by multiple individuals every day, they are generally referred to as “frequently touched” or “high-touch” surfaces.
Needless to say, these surfaces should be cleaned and disinfected more often and more thoroughly than other items in your household, especially if they’re located in the kitchen or another area where food is prepared.
High-touch surfaces include:
- Handles of all types
- Toilet seats
- Computer mice and keyboards
- Game controllers
- TV remotes
- Air conditioner remotes
- Light switches
- Buttons (for example, on the microwave)
How do you kill germs in your home?
The best way to destroy household germs on a surface is by first cleaning it, and then applying a disinfectant. You need to do both because cleaning alone won’t kill all germs (it will just move them around), while disinfection won’t remove dust, dirt, and other debris.
When sanitizing your home, you should:
- Wear protection in the form of a face mask and disposable gloves. Do not touch your face while cleaning (germs can enter your body through your eyes, nose, and mouth), and wash your hands thoroughly after you’re done cleaning.
- Clean a surface using soap and water, or a universal household cleaner. For specialized types of cleaning (for instance, carpet cleaning), use a cleaning product that’s specifically designed for that surface.
- Apply a disinfectant by following the instructions printed on the bottle. Some cleaning chemicals release strong fumes during use, so remember to air the room while applying the disinfectant.
- When washing clothes, wash them on the warmest appropriate setting and refrain from shaking them as that may disperse germs into the air. Let the clothes dry completely before storing them or wearing them again.
Does airing out a house get rid of germs?
Regularly airing your home is key to maintaining good indoor air quality. It enables you to breathe easier, curbs the spread of mold, and temporarily removes germs from the air. Airing your home is especially important if a member of your household is sick or if you’re using cleaning chemicals.
That being said, it’s important to note that airing alone isn’t enough to remove germs from contaminated surfaces. To do that, you’ll need to clean and disinfect these items applying the appropriate cleaning and disinfection methods.
Where can I book the finest house cleaning services in Terre Haute, Indiana?
Between work, taking care of the children, and other responsibilities, many Americans simply aren’t able to devote enough time to cleaning. The good news is, you’re not alone. At KCB Cleaning Services, we will happily sanitize your home for you while you enjoy a fun afternoon at the Memorial Stadium with your friends and loved ones.
Reach out to us today and have your place cleaned by the leading cleaning professionals in Terre Haute!